Having an up to date and properly written Will is the only way to ensure that your money, property and possessions will be distributed according to your wishes.
To make a Will is also the only certain way to:
- Avoid difficulties for your relatives and friends after your passing
- Ensure that your benefactors are not paying more Inheritance Tax than they need to.
What you need to think about when making a Will
- Who will act as your executor(s)
- Any specific funeral directions?
- Any gifts of money or particular items such as a car or jewellery
- Have any children from previous relationships been adequately provided for?
- Who is to receive the remainder of your estate (“the residue”)?
- If you own shares and/or run a business you may need to consider how to dispose of shares and whether to appoint a business executor.
- If your estate is worth over £325,000 you may like to consider making a Will to mitigate /avoid inheritance tax charged generally at 40% on the value above £325,000 (subject to main residence relief).
How long does drafting a Will take?
Obviously this is subjective to the nature of your affairs but a simple Will can be drafted in an hour ready for you to take away and consider.
For more complex affairs, an initial meeting will clarify what is needed, timescale and cost.
Flexible appointments & affordable fees
We can arrange for meetings 9am – 7 pm weekdays at your home/office or at my office in East Sheen – details of which can be found here.
By not incurring expensive office costs, means I can keep my fees extremely competitive no matter how complex your affairs…the best value in West London.
Do you need to make or update a Will?
Telephone 020 3935 9490.