Make a Will
Having a professionally written, up to date Will gives you peace of mind should you fear the worst. It will ensure that your final requests are carried out and that your loved ones are properly cared for, even after you are gone. Your will makes sure that your money, property and possessions will be distributed according to your wishes.
To make a Will is also the only certain way to:
- Avoid difficulties for your relatives and friends after your passing
- Ensure that your benefactors are not paying more Inheritance Tax than they need to.
In Richard Buxton, Mortlake Law & Mediation offer a personalised will writing service that offers affordable excellence. Richard is also able to deal with Wills effectively despite the isolation and restrictions enforced by the Coronavirus (Covid-19). He can even supply 2 adult witnesses to witness your will at no extra charge.
To make the process quicker and easier, Richard can take instructions over the telephone. You can download a simple questionnaire HERE and once it’s completed, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org so that a draft will can be prepared and quickly returned to you by pass word protected email for your approval.
Please don’t worry about the formalities of signing and witnessing the will. It is even legally possible for Richard to draft the will on the basis that he can sign it on your behalf, with your approval of course. Mortlake Law & Mediation are up to date with the latest developments in the law of Wills in these unfortunate times. And, the government have deemed Richard an essential worker so that he can support all his clients legal needs.
Richard also has many years’ experience of visiting nursing homes, care homes, hospitals and private homes. Visits and virtual telephone appointments extend beyond the normal 9-to-5 and are available at any time during the week. Richard has his laptop available to assist with editing drafts and can even print out your approved documents from his car!
We’re here to help you, backed by over 40 years legal experience covering most areas of law.
What you need to think about when making a Will
- Who will act as your executor(s)
- Any specific funeral directions?
- Any gifts of money or particular items such as a car or jewellery
- Have any children from previous relationships been adequately provided for?
- Who is to receive the remainder of your estate (“the residue”)?
- If you own shares and/or run a business you may need to consider how to dispose of shares and whether to appoint a business executor.
- If your estate is worth over £325,000 you may like to consider making a Will to mitigate /avoid inheritance tax charged generally at 40% on the value above £325,000 (subject to main residence relief).
How long does drafting a Will take?
Obviously this is subjective to the nature of your affairs but a simple Will can be drafted in an hour ready for you to take away and consider.
For more complex affairs, an initial meeting will clarify what is needed, timescale and cost.
Flexible appointments & affordable fees
We can arrange for meetings 9am – 7 pm weekdays at your home/office or at my office in East Sheen – details of which can be found here.
By not incurring expensive office costs, means I can keep my fees extremely competitive no matter how complex your affairs…the best value in West London.
Do you need to make or update a Will?
Telephone 020 3935 9490.